MasterCard contactless technology lets consumers make everyday purchases quickly and safely with just a tap of a contactless-enabled MasterCard® card or device — wherever the universal contactless symbol is displayed. Checkout is easier than ever, and it’s faster than fumbling with cash.
Contactless is accepted globally at retail stores, fast-food restaurants, pharmacies, transit points of entry and grocery and convenience stores. You’ll even find contactless in taxicabs and vending machines.
Safe and secure
Encryption — unique to every purchase — protects your transaction data, and your card or device never leaves your hand, reducing the risk of loss or counterfeit. What’s more, safeguards are in place to bill you only once if you accidently tap twice. Simply put, your contactless-enabled credit, debit or prepaid MasterCard card or device is one of the most secure ways to pay.
By choosing to accept MasterCard contactless, you’re opening the door to powerful benefits. In addition to the convenience it offers your customers, contactless can help you increase spending, strengthen loyalty and improve security.
Potential benefits for merchants
Faster transactions, increased turnover
- Quicker than cash
- Faster throughput at peak times
- Signature or PIN may not be required under the floor limit
- No need to print, sign or handle paper receipts
- Focus on selling instead of fumbling with cash
- Reduced costs per transaction due to cash handling, security and transportation costs
Reduced operational costs
- Less equipment wear and tear (no contact)
- Paper receipt not required for Low-Value Payment (LVP) unless requested by the customer
By adding contactless to M/Chip™ issuance, you’re opening the door to powerful benefits. In addition to adding convenience for your cardholders, contactless can help you increase spending, displace cash and attain top of wallet status.
Potential benefits for issuers
- Incremental spend — consumer not limited to cash on hand
- Incremental transactions — results from increased usage
- Expected increases in swiped/dipped transactions
- Replacement of cash purchases now paid with contactless-enabled cards and devices
- Reduction in incentives paid by bank toward account retention
- Opportunity costs avoided — fewer customers switching banks or moving competitors’ products to top of wallet
By adding contactless to M/Chip™ issuance, you’re opening the door to powerful benefits. In addition to adding convenience for your cardholders, contactless can help you increase volume, attract new merchants and attain top of wallet status.
Potential benefits for acquirers
Increased volume at currently affiliated merchants
- Cash-to-Contactless transactions
- Increases in average ticket
- Increased purchase frequency
- Customers may spend more as they are not limited to cash on hand
- Expansion into new merchant categories
Reduced merchant attrition
- Lowers costs and investments to re-affiliate merchants