MasterCard contactless technology lets consumers make everyday purchases quickly and safely with just a tap of a contactless-enabled MasterCard® card or device — wherever the universal contactless symbol is displayed. Checkout is easier than ever, and it’s faster than fumbling with cash.
Contactless is accepted globally at retail stores, fast-food restaurants, pharmacies, transit points of entry and grocery and convenience stores. You’ll even find contactless in taxicabs and vending machines.
Safe and secure
Encryption — unique to every purchase — protects your transaction data, and your card or device never leaves your hand, reducing the risk of loss or counterfeit. What’s more, safeguards are in place to bill you only once if you accidently tap twice. Simply put, your contactless-enabled credit, debit or prepaid MasterCard card or device is one of the most secure ways to pay.
By adding contacless to M/ChipTM issuance, you're opening the door to powerful benefits. In addition to adding convenience for your cardholders, contactless can help you increase spending, displace cash and attain top of wallet status.
Potential benefits for issuers
- Incremental spend -- consumer not limited to cash on hand
- Incremental transactions -- results from increased usage
- Expected increases in swiped/dipped transactions
- Replacement of cash purchases now paid with contactless-enabled cards and devices
- Reduction in incentives paid by bank toward account retention
- Opportunity costs avoided -- fewer customers switching banks or moving competitors' products to top of wallet
- Enables secure payment with mobile phone
- Provides a faster, simple, and safe way to pay for purchases
- Offers greater convenience, eliminating the need to restrict spending to cash on hand
- Allows cardholder to maintain control during purchases
Click to play video