Zero Liability Protection
Have peace of mind knowing that the bank that issued your MasterCard won't hold you responsible for "unauthorized transactions." Zero liability applies to transactions made in the store, over the telephone or online. As a cardholder, you will not be held responsible for unauthorized transactions if:
- your account is in good standing;
- you have exercised reasonable care in safeguarding your card from loss or theft; and
- you have not reported to your bank two or more unauthorized use events in the past 12 months.
If these conditions are not met and you suspect that you have an unauthorized transaction on your MasterCard, contact your bank as additional protections may apply.Zero Liability does not apply to MasterCard payment cards:
- used for commercial, business or agricultural purposes (PLEASE NOTE: Zero Liability does apply to MasterCard credit and debit cards for small businesses);
- anonymous prepaid cards, such as store or gift cards, until such time as the identity of the cardholder has been registered with the financial institution that issued the card; or
- if a PIN is used for the unauthorized transaction.
What to do
If you have questions regarding Zero Liability coverage or you suspect unauthorized use of your card, contact your bank IMMEDIATELY.
For the application of Zero Liability outside of the United States, check your MasterCard country site.